Saturday, August 28, 2010

What do we do on Sunday?

Quite simply, we eat good food, drink good beer, and enjoy good company. Every week we try to cook something new and exciting or an old favorite. Summertime means dinner on the deck at my house. Usually there's something good on the grill or the smoker, but after grilling almost every week it was time to utilize the turkey fryer for something besides brewing beer(more on that in a future post). Turkey is the obvious choice, and we'll be doing one later in the year, but this time around we tried out fish and chips. I never thought I'd be doing any deep frying after a 2 year stint at Burger King in high school. After 10 years though, I think I finally had the taste of fast food out of my mouth and all the memories had faded so it was time to get greasy one more time......

Ok, so I grossly underestimated the cost of enough oil to fry our F+C, 3 jugs of oil later, we were in business......



Beth models the first batch of fried potato deliciousness


Catherine gets a reeeeeal good whiff of the fish, fresh out the fryer


The finished meal, complete with a soda pairing by Randy. For beer drinkers, the choice was Brooklyn Lager


Ok, pretty standard fish and chips at this point. We were all full of fried food and pretty happy, but something was missing. Maybe I've watched too much food reality TV but something else had to go in the oil. Something for dessert. Luckily across town, while I was picking up fish and oil, Beth was making some cupcakes.....



Little did she know her baked goods would be defiled in a such manner. Smothered in a beer batter made with Beamish.....


And the finished product ready to clog some arteries.....


All in all a successful first crack at deep frying. I'm not sure if our stomachs and hearts can handle doing this again anytime soon, but watch this spot for more grease at some point. Next up though, Mexican night.

Words-Jake, Pics-Randy

No comments:

Post a Comment